This article is aimed to describe the process of Kosovo independence recognition, its main stages, chronology, and international status of Kosovo in 21th century under the scope of its economic and political engagement at the global arena through the reports and recommendations of international organization. Compliance of Kosovo state with the international criteria on the independency recognition is also presented in the article through overview of basic recognized legal requirements and approaches. Described the position of the sovereign state acting in accordance with its national interests and important role played by individual states, Poland and Czech Republic in particular, their military and political engagement, and social reaction to the conflict and Kosovo recognition, as well as by non-state, non-governmental and social actors, but also international organizations regarding path and recognition of Kosovo independency. Kosovo domestic state of play with respect to the independency path and international status are also presented for consideration.
How to Cite
Kosovo, European Union, NATO, foreign policy, Poland, Czech Republic, peace missions, Kosovo independency
2. Česká republika uznala nezávislost Kosova, https://www.vlada.cz/cz/media-centrum/aktualne/ceska-republika-uznala-nezavislost-kosova-35465/
3. Constitution of the Republic of Kosovo, http://www.kryeministri-ks.net/repository/docs/Constitution1Kosovo.pdf.
4. Countries that Recognize the Independence of Kosovo https://www.graphicmaps.com/which-countries-recognize-kosovo
5. D. J. Harris. 2004. Cases and Materials on International Law. London. Sweet and Maxwell. P. 99.
6. Digest of United States Practice in International Law 1976. Washington DC: US Government Printing Office. P. 19–20.
7. IMF Country Report, ISBN/ISSN:9781616359324/1934-7685, Republic of Kosovo 2021, Article IV consultation – Press release; and staff report, January 2022.
8. IMF, Press Release No. 09/240, 2009. Kosovo Becomes the International Monetary Fund’s 186th Member.
9. Kosovo GDP per capita, https://tradingeconomics.com/kosovo/gdp-per-capita
10. Kosovo Unemployment Rate, https://tradingeconomics.com/kosovo/unemployment-rate
11. Kosovo’s Declaration of Independence of 17 February 2008. Article 8.
12. Montevideo Convention of 1933. Article 3. https://www.ilsa.org/Jessup/Jessup15/Montevideo%20Convention.pdf
13. Montevideo Convention of 1933. Article 3. https://www.ilsa.org/Jessup/Jessup15/Montevideo%20Convention.pdf
14. Piro Rexhepi, 2017, In Kosovo, too, there’s a future for a leftist party of economic and social justice https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/12/kosovo-leftist-party-social-justice-vetevendosje
15. Press Release No:2009/448/ECA. Kosovo Joins World Bank Group Institutions.
16. Resolution on recognition by the Republic of Poland of the Republic of Kosovo from February 26, 2008, https://www.premier.gov.pl/wydarzenia/decyzje-rzadu/uchwala-w-sprawie-uznania-przezrzeczpospolita-polska-republiki-kosowo.html.
17. The Programme and core Objectives of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, http://www.mfa-ks.net/en/politika/483/njohjet-ndrkombtare-t-republiks-s-kosovs/483
18. Vucheva Elitsa. 2008. Only a third of Croats enthusiastic for EU membership. EU Observer. http://euobserver.com/9/27124